Starting February 1, 2014, the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) is implementing changes to the End Product Listing (EPL) process. The net effect of these changes is a requirement for all OEMs, implementing Bluetooth technology in their products, to pay the Bluetooth SIG a ‘listing’ fee.
The new listing scheme according to the Bluetooth SIG is as follows:
- Bluetooth SIG Adopter: $8,000 USD
- Bluetooth SIG Associate Members: $4,000 USD
- Innovation Incentive Program (companies with annual revenue <1 million USD): $2,500 USD (2 products max.)
This represents a major change in the Bluetooth SIG qualification and listing process. Laird recommends that any OEM integrating a Laird Bluetooth module looks to generating an End Product Listing (EPL) for their product, prior to 1st February, as this will avoid any additional costs for the new Bluetooth SIG process. The current EPL listing process, using any of Laird’s fully qualified Bluetooth modules, is free of charge and is referenced in detail in each Bluetooth module User Manual and / or Hardware Integration Guide.
The new listing process does not affect any prior EPL listings or qualifications, only new listings from February 1st 2014. Laird will continue to provide full Bluetooth RF testing and qualification for our modules for OEMs to leverage in their products, but unfortunately, OEMs will now be required by the Bluetooth SIG to pay a fee when listing their Bluetooth Enabled products.
It is worth noting that Laird has been working with other Bluetooth module manufacturers in opposition to the new Bluetooth SIG listing fees. Our position is that these changes are not in the best interest of Bluetooth as a technology and could restrict the significant growth of new product applications. Laird recognizes the fact that the EPL fee has been kept at the same level for a long period and that some restructuring on the fees is needed. Laird will continue to advocate and promote changes to the new listing process that we feel benefit the Bluetooth ecosystem as a whole.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any support and guidance required.
Want to receive the latest blog posts from Laird? Subscribe Below:
- New 60 Series SOM & Summit Software Stack Deliver Superior Enterprise-Class Wi-Fi Connectivity
- New BL651 Module Joins Laird’s Growing Nordic Family of BLE 5 Solutions
- What You Need to Know About Bluetooth SIG Deprecation of BT v4.1 and Older Specs
- Get a First Look at Laird’s BL654 Bluetooth 5 Module
- Webinar Recap: BLE Mesh – A Practical Guide to Simplify Product Development Time
May 2019 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31