The article, “Know Your Device’s Environment: A Guide for Understanding Range in RF Devices” written by Chris Downey, Product Manager of Laird Embedded Wireless Solutions, was recently published in Wireless Design and Development. The article touches on some of the challenges faced everyday when attempting to set up a wireless network. Every environment is different and contains its own set of challenges such as various walls, trees, or even hills, which cause significant signal loss, or metal objects that reflect radio waves. Whether you are looking to connect across 10 meters in a crowded hall or 10 kilometers outdoors, the type of environment that these connections take place in plays a significant role in the maximum range that can be achieved.
This article follows the story of a Rancher who is looking to add wireless connectivity to his ranch in order to keep better track of his stock watering facilities. It takes you step by step through the process of achieving the most efficient wireless range, taking into account the environment. The process covers:
- Choosing the right radio
- Selecting the right antenna
- Antenna height
To learn how Rancher Dave successfully set up a wireless network spanning his 75,000 acre ranch, read the full article here. For more information on Laird’s long range wireless radios, visit Laird’s RAMP ISM Modules.
Want to receive the latest blog posts from Laird? Subscribe Below:
- New 60 Series SOM & Summit Software Stack Deliver Superior Enterprise-Class Wi-Fi Connectivity
- New BL651 Module Joins Laird’s Growing Nordic Family of BLE 5 Solutions
- What You Need to Know About Bluetooth SIG Deprecation of BT v4.1 and Older Specs
- Get a First Look at Laird’s BL654 Bluetooth 5 Module
- Webinar Recap: BLE Mesh – A Practical Guide to Simplify Product Development Time
December 2021 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31