Summit Data Communications is a provider of industrial-grade and medical-grade wireless modules. Summit's rugged Wi-Fi products provide secure and reliable wireless connectivity for devices such as data collection terminals and medical equipment that operate in challenging environments such as factories, warehouses, and hospitals. More than one million Summit wireless modules are in use today at companies of all sizes around the world.
- Medical: Summit's medical grade Wi-Fi is ideal for the hospital environment. Summit innovations provide reliable connectivity, fast roaming, robust security, full Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX) support, and centralized configuration and management to simplify IT in medical settings.
- M2M: Summit's Wi-Fi radios are ideal for machine-to-machine connectivity. Summit's industrial grade Wi-Fi is enhanced with our centralized configuration and management system to further enable ease-of-management.
- Data Collection: Summit is the leader in wireless for business-critical mobile devices that operate in challenging environments such as factories, warehouses, and ports. Unique modifications in hardware and software enable your mobile devices to stay Connected. No Matter What.
Every Summit solution combines hardware, software, certifications, and support services to ensure optimal performance in business-critical mobile devices.
To learn more, please click on one of the headings below.
Summit product hardware is designed for business-critical mobile devices that operate in challenging environments. Hardware innovations enable Summit modules and cards to provide superior RF range while minimizing power consumption. Key Summit hardware capabilities include:
- Form factor: Summit modules and cards are available in a variety of standard and customized form factors for use in devices ranging from ultra-rugged vehicle-mounted terminals to small, light handhelds and wrist-mounted devices.
- Dual-band support: While Summit G solutions operate only in the 2.4 GHz frequency band, Summit AG solutions support both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, maximizing flexibility in how mobile devices are deployed and managed.
- Antenna diversity: Every Summit solution supports transmit and receive diversity to maximize performance in high multipath environments.
- Range: The enhanced transmit and receive capabilities and maximized delay spread of Summit radio modules and cards maximize RF range of distance from the infrastructure where a reliable connection can be maintained.
- Low power consumption: Boosting range often comes at the expense of increased power consumption, but Summit modules and cards maximize battery life to better provide for full-shift operation.
- Extended operating temperature: To allow for operation in extreme environments such as factories, warehouses, freezers, and the outdoors, Summit modules and cards provide an extended operating temperature range.
Business-critical mobile devices require specialized software to deliver the security, trouble-free operations, and manageability that customers require. Summit software includes a device driver, an integrated 802.1X security supplicant, and a full-featured management and monitoring utility called the Summit Client Utility (SCU). Key software capabilities include:
- Operating system support: Summit software ensures trouble-free operation on a device that runs any supported version of Windows Embedded CE, Windows Mobile, or Windows XP.
Click here for a list of supported operating systems for each Summit radio.
- Connectivity and roaming: Summit software ensures that a device obtains a secure wireless network connection quickly and maintains that connection reliably, even as the device moves among the areas covered by different access points. The voice-quality roaming supported by Summit software is sufficient for even the most latency-sensitive data application. For details, read the Summit white paper on mobility.
- Security: Every reliable Summit network connection can be secured with WPA2-Enterprise (IEEE 802.11i) security using one of six popular EAP types and AES-CCMP encryption. Other authentication and encryption methods are supported, too. For more information on Wi-Fi security, read the informative Summit white paper.
- CCX: Because Summit software supports all required features of Version 4 of the Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX) specification, every Summit solution is certified for CCX V4. For details on CCX for mobile devices, read the Summit white paper.
- Administration: SCU enables a user to view, and an administrator to configure, all radio operation and security settings. SCU also enables a user or administrator to view status and troubleshoot issues. SCU is built on a published application programming interface that can be leveraged by other applications such as Wavelink Avalanche for remote management.
- Integration: Summit provides device vendors with a manufacturing utility that allows them to set regulatory parameters such as channel set and maximum transmit power to provide for world-wide compliance across multiple platforms.
- Upgrades: Summit regularly provides software upgrades to enhance the features, capabilities, and usability of Summit radio modules and cards. Summit provides these upgrades free of charge to qualified device OEMs.
With SCU, users and administrators have complete control over key radio parameters including transmit power and SSID as well as security parameters inclusive of encryption and authentication. SCU supports multiple network profiles to allow for device operation in multiple facilities. For a closer look at SCU, click here.
Summit solutions can be used worldwide because they comply with all applicable regulations as set forth by agencies such as ETSI, the FCC, and TELEC. Summit provides software support for all relevant IEEE and Wi-Fi Alliance standards as well as Cisco innovations. Summit solutions are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ and certified for CCX V4.
Helping our customers achieve these certifications for their Summit-equipped devices is part of our product, our solution, and our responsibility. With the existing grants, test reports, and approvals for our family of wireless LAN modules, Summit can minimize the cost, time, and complexity of attaining all required certifications. Please review our Certifications section for product-specific certification information.
Summit provides engineer-to-engineer integration assistance to device manufacturers, as well as consultation and documentation to aid in custom device driver and application development. In addition, Summit's support extends to Summit radio module and card operation in the field. Summit's system engineering team provides Level 2 technical support to device vendors and are well versed in radio frequency characteristics, wired and wireless network architectures, and security protocols.
One of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies with annual revenue of more than $2.5 billion, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, CA and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia, and Europe.
Summit is a CCX program participant and specification licensee. All Summit products are certified for CCX Version 4, and over 30 devices that use Summit products have been certified for CCX, too. Want to earn the Cisco Compatible seal? Start by putting a Summit radio in your device!
All Summit products are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED.
Summit Data Communications (Summit), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Laird Technologies, recently was awarded an ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) certification by an external certifying authority, British Standards Institute. This certification, which went into effect on May 10, is proof that the Summit's QMS is in compliance with the requirements of the ISO standard 9001:2008. Summit passed two rigorous on-site audits to achieve this certification.
In addition to measures implemented to guarantee product quality, Summit has documented processes and procedures to ensure:
- A quality policy has been established to provide focus and help guide Summit in achieving its goals and objectives.
- Design and development controls are in place to develop products with features that will meet the expectations of Summit's customers.
- Customer satisfaction data is collected and monitored closely. Survey results are reported to Summit senior management for their review, analysis, and action.
- Summit has the capability to perform preventive and corrective actions to ensure that the cause of any failure of Summit to achieve its objectives is identified, its root cause determined, and measures put in place to prevent its future occurrence.
- All Summit personnel have the appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to comply with the Summit QMS.
- Documents are controlled and there are defined procedures for the review and approval of Summit documentation.
- Summit processes are internally audited to ensure continued adherence to documented procedures and to recognize opportunities for improvement.
- Summit top management reviews the continued adequacy of the Summit QMS by reviewing the outputs of its processes and making targeted decisions to ensure continual improvement.
Summit Data Communications ISO 9001:2008 certificate can be accessed here:
Summit ISO 9001 Certificate
ISO 9001 is recognized as the world's most prevalent QMS standard. Worldwide, almost one million companies are ISO 9001 certified. For additional information regarding the ISO 9000 family of QMS standards, please use the following link: